Feel free to ask us anything and everything

Why did I receive a 1099 form?

If you meet the reporting requirements set by the IRS, you will receive information on whether or not you will be receiving a 1099 form from Acorns Securities by February 15 for the prior year. Almost anyone who actively invests will receive this form.

What’s a 1099 form?
The 1099 form is an IRS tax form that lists important information like realized gains or losses from your investments, income from dividends and any foreign taxes paid on your investments. The information on a 1099 form is reported by Acorns to you and the IRS.

How will I get it?
Acorns Securities will email a link to your 1099 form to the email address in your Acorns profile.

When will I get it?
On February 15 you will receive next steps regarding your 1099 for the prior calendar year.

Why so late? To help your money grow, we invest some of it in assets linked to real estate. They tend to be affected less by dips in the market, and their dividends tend to be higher. But, they take a little longer to report their annual results. To ensure that your 1099 form reflects the most up-to-date figures, and protect you from needing to refile, we send your 1099 form when we receive final results.

If you’d planned to file your taxes earlier, it may be best to wait or consult your tax professional. You could incur a fee if you have to file twice.

What do I do with my 1099 form?
That’s a good question for your tax professional. She can help you determine whether you meet reporting requirements set by the IRS.

For information about the tax implications involved with investing, please visit the IRS website or contact your tax professional.

If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out to our support team.

Acorns follows IRS de minimus rules (i.e. not enough to be considered) for 1099 reporting. If the gross proceeds from fractional sales of securities or the cumulative amount of income or dividends received during the tax year do not exceed the IRS reporting thresholds, we do not include these amounts on the 1099 and they are not reported to the IRS.

Was this helpful?

This website is operated by Acorns Advisers, LLC, an SEC Registered Investment Advisor. Brokerage services are provided to clients of Acorns by Acorns Securities, an SEC registered broker-dealer and member FINRA/SIPC. Investments are not FDIC insured and may lose value. Investing involves risk and investments may lose value. Please consider your objectives and Acorns pricing before investing. Past performance does not guarantee future results. Investment outcomes and projections are hypothetical in nature. Limited time offer. Rewards are in the form of a purchase of investments in your Acorns portfolio. Shares are purchased once your friend’s account is approved. To be eligible for the reward, the person you refer must use your personal invitation code when they sign up. Acorns reserves the right to restrict or revoke this offer at any time. Acorns Visa™ debit cards are issued by Lincoln Savings Bank, member FDIC. "Acorns" and "Invest the Change" are registered trademarks of Acorns Grow, Inc.